Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Blistered Tomato Guacamole for a Mild Taste (No Heat)

Grape tomatoes, avocado oil, kosher salt
If you like guacamole but don't like a lot of heat from chills - this is a great option for you.

Experiment with my yummy twist on guacamole. Try "blistering" your tomatoes first and making a salsa to add to your mashed avocados. For this recipe - I used "grape" tomatoes right from the farmer's market - poured avocado oil over them and then sprinkled with kosher salt. I blistered them under the broiler on it's highest setting. When their skins got charred and split - I took them out and then mashed them in my molecajete. Next I added my special Diva's Guacamole spice mix. (Click on the link to see it).

I put aside the blistered tomatoes - then used the molecajete to mash up some in-season avocados, adding another small teaspoon of my Diva's spice mix. Finally I mixed them all together (the mashed tomatoes and the mashed avocado) for a very flavorful yet mild (no heat) guacamole. It was good with a crusty bread as well as crackers.

Bon appetite!
Sprinkle tomatoes with oil and salt

Blister the skins under the broiler

You know they are ready when they start to pop and split

When they cool, mash in a molecajete

Mash your avocados as well, and mix the two together - adding my spice mix for flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment