Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cajun Kick to Guacamole

My son is named after a restaurant in New Orleans. I love Creole and Cajun food as well as the "Crescent City".  Each year I purchase a can of this Creole Seasoning and have it shipped from "Narlins". This week - as I was contemplating my ripe avocados and my finds from the local farmers market -- I decided to go the "Cajun route" for my spiciness.

Another of my favorite Louisiana treats is a vinegary-spicy sauce from Avery Island (think "Tabasco"). There are a TON to choose from that are made in Louisiana - and the best part is the heat plus the distinct vinegar taste.

So here's my Cajun Tribute Guacamole and a tip of the Diva's hat to her son - Brennan.

INGREDIENTS:
2 or 3 summer avocados (Gem, Lamb or Regal)
1-2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
1-2 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce
Juice from 1 small lemon
2 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped to yield 1/3 cup

DIRECTIONS:
a. With a butter knife, cut the summer avocado (which should have a tough, thicker skin) into cubes within it's skin. See photo to the right. Use a dull knife so as not to pierce the avocado skins.
b. Use a table spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh into a non-metal bowl (never use a metal bowl with avocados) and mash into a chunky sauce. Reserve the avocado's skins for a service bowl(s).
c. Add the Creole seasonings, salt, and Tabasco sauce as well as the lemon juice, tomatoes and cilantro. Go light at first with the Creole and Tabasco. Taste - and if you wish for more heat, add more seasonings.
d. Serve with cut up fresh veggies or chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment